Come visit the new home of Cooking During Stolen Moments at http://stolenmomentscooking.com

Sunday, March 1, 2009

Cheddar Pan Rolls

These rolls are tender, flaky and oh, so good! I always make a big batch of these because we love them so much and we like to have the leftovers with breakfast, lunch or as snacks over the course of a few days. But you could easily halve the recipe if you'd like.

Cheddar Pan Rolls
  • 4-1/2 c. all-purpose flour
  • 2 T. sugar
  • 1 T. salt
  • 1 T. active dry yeast
  • 2 t. garlic powder
  • 1/8 t. cayenne pepper
  • 2 cups milk
  • 1 T. butter or margarine
  • 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
  • 2 T. margarine or butter, melted
1. Combine 2 cups of the flour, sugar, salt, yeast, garlic powder and cayenne pepper in a large bowl.

2. In a small saucepan, combine the milk and butter or margarine. Heat over low heat, stirring often, until butter is completely melted. Do NOT boil.

3. Pour milk/butter combo into the large bowl and mix well. Work in all of the remaining flour. Dough will be sticky. With your hands, mix the cheese into the dough just until combined. Do not knead. Cover and let rise for 1 hour.
4. Grease 3 8 or 9 inch cake pans and/or pie plates. Roll the dough into 36 golf ball-sized balls and place 12 in each greased pan. Cover and let rise again, at least 45 minutes.

5. Just before baking, melt 2 T. butter or margarine and brush over rolls. Bake at 350 degrees for 20-25 minutes.If you make the full batch and cannot finish them all within a few days, the rolls freeze really well too.

Stop by Hooked On Houses to see what others are hooked on this week!

15 comments:

Wendi said...

Yummy! I just came over to link to some of your recipes for my monthly meal plan and I saw these rolls - cheese and bread - can't get much better than that!

This blog is full of so many great recipes, I plan to try a lot of them this month.

Thanks for sharing!

SnoWhite said...

Those look delicious!

Not Another Omnivore said...

I think I know what I'm making the boyfriend when I visit him on Spring Break...

NAOmni

Mel said...

I love your blog. I made these tonight and they are so good. Thank you for sharing!

Unknown said...

Can I just say that I love your recipes!!!!

Shannon

Fran said...

I made thses tonight and they were a hit with my kids and me too. will keep to make again!!!! thanks

Jennifer said...

Mmmm . . . these sound delicious. Thanks for the recipe!

Jill GG said...

wow!! I am making these soon, they look fantastic!

amariaf2000 said...

I've already written down this recipe! I can't imagine not finishing a whole batch! :o) These look AWESOME! Thanks for sharing!
~angela @ peonypatch
www.mccalled.com/peonypatch

Anonymous said...

yum!

Anonymous said...

I'm so glad I found your site today! As a Southern boy, biscuits are always god, but look even better with cheddar cheese!

I cook dinner every single night - and I know how it's often a juggle - I'm loving your site. Count me a fan!

ImagineCozy said...

These look so yummy!! I want to go make these today!

DesignTies said...

I found your blog through Hooked on Fridays. And I'm happy I did, because those cheese buns look delicious!!! :-) I'm going to have to try making a batch soon :-)

Kelly @ DesignTies

Things That Inspire said...

This is not a good thing to read when I am hungry - they look so good!

Andi @ udandi / Lunch It Punch It said...

oh these look delish! I need to bookmark this recipe.