Come visit the new home of Cooking During Stolen Moments at http://stolenmomentscooking.com

Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Pizza-Stuffed Meatloaf

Tonight I was at a loss as to what to make for dinner. I had 10 pounds of ground beef and turkey in front of me, waiting to be prepped for the freezer. But I just couldn't decide which option to go with for dinner. My menu plan and time schedule was a little off because I had just got back from a 3 1/2 hour dentist appointment.

Then, I remembered that I had some leftover pizza sauce and shredded mozzarella in the fridge from our pizza fondue dinner over the weekend. That started the gears turning and I decided to get creative. This is what I came up with. And let me just tell, it was absolutely working for our family tonight!

Pizza-Stuffed Meatloaf
  • 1 1/2 lbs. ground meat (beef, turkey, or a combination of the two)
  • 1 1/2 c. quick oats or breadcrumbs
  • 1 egg
  • 1 c. pizza sauce
  • 2 t. each salt, Italian seasoning and garlic powder
  • 2 t. Extra-virgin olive oil
  • 1/2 green pepper, diced
  • 1/2 onion, diced
  • 1/2 lb. mushrooms, sliced
  • 12 - 15 slices pepperoni
  • 1 c. shredded mozzarella cheese
1. Combine the ground meat, oats or breadcrumbs, egg, pizza sauce and seasonings.
2. In a small skillet, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the green pepper, onion and mushrooms. Cook until mushrooms are brown, about 5 minutes.
3. Press half of the meatloaf into the bottom of a loaf pan.4. Spread the cooked veggies on top of that. (If you don't like this combination of veggies, you can use any of your other favorite pizza toppings.)5. Layer the pepperoni on top of the veggies.6. Add 1/2 c. mozzarella on top of the pepperoni.7. Press the remaining 1/2 of the meatloaf mixture into the pan.8. Sprinkle with the remaining mozzarella cheese. Cover with aluminum foil. (At this point, you can put the meatloaf in the refrigerator until an hour before dinner or just bake and eat.)9. Bake, covered, at 350 degrees for 1 hour, or until meat is fully cooked.10. Let meatloaf rest at least 5 minutes before cutting.
Head over to Rocks In My Dryer for more Works For Me Wednesday.

18 comments:

Jennifer said...

I am sooo glad you came up with that! It looks very good. I am happy that you are creative in the kitchen because then it makes me look good at dinner time! :)

Anonymous said...

Oh Wow that sounds wonderful! Bookmarked for a future meal! Jennifer @ cooking like a frugalite

Gina @ MoneywiseMoms said...

This sounds so good! It's got a lot of the components of my mom's Italian Meatloaf, but with way more cheese--yummy!

Anonymous said...

Brilliant! I'm adding that to my menu plan, just as soon as I make the actual pizza that we were supposed to have Monday. ;-)

Amy said...

Yum-O! This looks great! It is on my menu for next week. Keep up the good work!

Aisling said...

Looks fantastic and a great way to use up leftovers

Judy said...

I can't believe you made that up!!! You are awesome! I don't eat red meat or pork but my family does. I think they would love this meal. Thanks : )

MediMonsters said...

That looks awesome!! Saving for later. TFS

Lora @ my blessed life said...

This looks SO good!! I'm definitely printing this one out to try. I like meatloaf, but I hate it bland--and this is defintely not bland!

BTW, I had no idea you had this cooking blog--how did I miss this?!

Anonymous said...

mmm I am so trying this one, looks divine!

Michelle said...

This TOTALLY reminds me of my favorite recipe from my Atkins Diet days---meat-zza. I would press ground beef that had been seasoned with garlic and spices down into a pie pan and push it up the sides to form a "crust". Bake in a 375 oven for 15 minutes, drain the fat and then top it with pizza toppings---sauce, meat, veggies and cheese. Bake for another 15 minutes. I will have to try this recipe!

Unknown said...

That looks fabulous! Comfort food at its finest.
Thanks for sharing, I am a new visitor and have bookmarked your blog, I'm looking forward to more great recipes!

Anonymous said...

It looks yummy! How creative!

creative gal said...

That looks great!! Can't wait to try!

Traci Best said...

I like your style! This is very much the way I like to cook...I hardly ever make any dish exactly the same way twice! I LOVE this idea!

Thank you for the inspiration!

Traci

sjs said...

Hi there. I tried your recipe and it was delicious.:) I may add more sauce next time.:) Thanks for the recipe.:) You can look at the results here.
www.smjlfn.blogspot.com

Anonymous said...

I posted that I would try this recipe, and I changed it to Aussie ingredients, so the recipe was slightly different, but it was soooo good! Thanks so much. This is my post about it
http://salisburymob.wordpress.com/2009/01/28/meatloaf/

Gwen said...

I can't even beleive how good this looks! I can't wait to try it - my family is going to love this recipe!