We usually like to eat this chicken hash for dinner, with bread and a salad. It would be great as part of a brunch too, with an egg on top or on the side. I always serve it with chicken gravy over the top, but for picky kids who like ketchup, I bet this would be a great option. I usually don't eat ketchup much myself, but my husband and kids love it, so I just might have to try that for them next time we have this.
- 3 T. olive oil
- 3 T. butter or margarine
- 6 potatoes, cut into small cubes
- 1 large onion, diced
- 1 green pepper, diced
- 4 carrots, shredded
- 2 c. cooked and shredded chicken
- 2 t. salt
- 2 t. black pepper
- 1 t. paprika
2. Add the onion and green pepper. Continue cooking until onion is translucent, about another 5 minutes.
3. Stir in the carrots, chicken and seasonings. Cook, stirring often, until potatoes are tender and browned all over, about 10-15 more minutes.
4. If desired, serve with chicken gravy (or ketchup!).
*A great thing about this dish is that the shredded carrots look just like pieces of melted cheese.
Quick Chicken Gravy
- 4 T. butter or margarine
- 4 T. flour
- 2 c. chicken stock
- 1 t. black pepper
- 1/2 t. thyme