Come visit the new home of Cooking During Stolen Moments at http://stolenmomentscooking.com

Monday, January 12, 2009

Another Trick In Easing Dinnertime Stress

With little kids who like to shovel food in their mouths (which, in our family at least, has a tendency to lead to choking), it's often necessary to cut their food for them before they eat. This used to take a long time, especially when eating spaghetti or something similar.

However, that was before I discovered the genius of kitchen shears.

Now, I use kitchen shears to whip through a bowl or plate of food for the kids in just seconds. A few snips through everything and it's good to go.
Kitchen shears also come in handy when cutting fresh herbs or homemade pasta. I like to roll out the pasta and just run the scissors through the dough quickly. In fact, there are endless ways to use these wonderful things.

But because I'm all about making dinner time as low stress as possible, that's the best thing about the scissors in my book. My hungry children really don't want to wait for me to use a knife and fork to neatly cut their food into bite-sized pieces. Fortunately, they don't have to!

Find more kitchen tips here and more tackle-it Tuesday here.

i am bd bread
And be sure to stop by Blissfully Domestic to share your domestic bliss.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh, I love my shears! Favorite kitchen tool as long as my boys do not use them to cut cardboard boxes for a project.

Susie said...

What a great idea and tackle!!

Sherry @ Lamp Unto My Feet said...

I love my kitchen shears! :D THey are great!!

Aisling said...

I also use them to chop tinned whole tomatoes if I have no tins of chopped. Just open the tin, stick the shears down inside the tin and chop, and turn and chop and turn until they are how you like them.

Sandra said...

I use my shears for everything! I have a friend who uses her pizza cutter! What ever makes it fast and easy.

Melissa said...

That is a good idea!! I was using a pizza cutter, but sometimes it doesn't work, so I'm going to use the shears:)

Gena said...

I LOVE my kitchen shears - I have three pairs so one is always clean.

P.S. Sorry about being unable to read your blog yesterday - it was my internet or something. I had problems with everything.

Anonymous said...

I use mine a lot too but I have a s/i/l that uses it for pizza.

Eli's Lids said...

Oh my gosh!! I'm cracking up because I have a similar post in my drafts. I use the kitchen shears for almost everything! When I post it can I put up a link to your post?
http://elislids.blogspot.com/

Justbecauseitmakesmesmile said...

What a fantastic idea!