Come visit the new home of Cooking During Stolen Moments at http://stolenmomentscooking.com

Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Sweet & Sour Ham

My husband loves Sweet & Sour Chicken. In fact, it is the only thing he ever orders when we (rarely) order Chinese food. He also loves ham. A LOT! I think he would eat ham every single day, for every single meal if he could. So I thought...why not combine the two? Thus, sweet & sour ham.

The bones of this recipe are super simple and you could easily swap out the ham for chicken, pork, shrimp or scallops. It tastes just like any sweet and sour dish you'd get from a Chinese restaurant, minus the deep-fried food and the MSG. (Although if you really wanted to, you could easily add some tempura-battered food in there. I think I just might do that next time.)

This meal was a huge hit with all the kids too!

Sweet & Sour Ham
  • 2 T. oil
  • 2 1/2 c. cubed ham
  • 1 green pepper, diced
  • 1 20oz. can pineapple tidbits or chunks
  • 2 T. apple-cider or plain vinegar
  • 3 T. brown sugar
  • 2 T. soy sauce
  • 1 t. ginger
  • 1/2 t. crushed red pepper flakes
  • 1/4 c. water
  • 1 T. corn starch
1. Heat oil in a large skillet. Add ham and green pepper. Drain pineapple juice into a bowl and add pineapple to the skillet. Cook for 5 minutes.
2. In the bowl with the pineapple juice, add vinegar, brown sugar, soy sauce, ginger, red pepper flakes, water and corn starch. Whisk together until smooth.
3. Add sauce to the skillet, bring to a boil and simmer until desired thickness, about 3 minutes. Serve over rice.

2 comments:

Gena said...

That looks yummy. Maybe I'll try it with cubed extra-firm tofu? I'm thinking that might work for my vegetarian. Personally, I think ham or scallops would be awesome.

Shelby said...

This looks great and I love how easy it will be to add other meats to change things up. Thanks!