Come visit the new home of Cooking During Stolen Moments at http://stolenmomentscooking.com

Sunday, January 25, 2009

Cream Cheese Wontons

My husband and I love to have homemade appetizers for our at-home date nights. One of our favorites is cream cheese wontons. They are similar to crab rangoon, minus the crab. If you want to recreate crab rangoon, you could easily just add some crab meat to this mixture.

Even though this is a favorite for date nights, sometimes we like to treat the kids and make this for lunch instead. They enjoy it as much as we do.

Cream Cheese Wontons
  • 1 8oz. block cream cheese, room temperature
  • 1/4 c. tahini
  • 6 green onions, thinly sliced
  • 1 t. salt
  • 1 t. garlic powder
  • 1 pkg. wonton wrappers
  • Oil for frying
1. Blend the cream cheese, tahini, green onions, salt and garlic powder together.2. Heat 1" of oil in a deep-sided skillet or saute pan over medium-high heat.

3. Add about 1 T. of filling in the center of each wrapper. Dip your finger in cold water, rub around the edges of wonton wrapper to moisten and seal.
4. Cook between 4-6 at a time, depending on the size of your pan. Cook on one side until lightly browned, flip and brown the other side. (Sorry I don't have exact times for these. I always just wing it until they look right, and turn down the heat if they start browning too quickly.)

5. Drain on a towel and keep warm in the oven.

4 comments:

Lora @ my blessed life said...

Mmmm...we LOVE these!! I made a version of these once, ages ago, and I think it's time that I tried it again. Maybe for the Chinese New Year...

Coop de Coop said...

Wow, the wontons look good, but....Tell me about at home date nights! How does that work?

Melissa said...

These look so good!! I know my family would like them with the crab:)

Cara said...

I couldn't find Tahini today at the grocery store, what do you think would be a good substitution?

Thanks.

Cara/simplycara.com