Sausage, Potato & Corn Chowder
- 1 T. butter, margarine or olive oil
- 1/2 lb. smoked or Polish sausage, cut in half lengthwise and sliced (Turkey sausage works great also.)
- 1/2 t. Red pepper flakes
- 2 t. cumin
- 2 t. salt
- 1 t. crushed rosemary
- 1 onion, cut in half and thinly sliced
- 3 stalks celery, sliced
- 3 carrots, peeled and sliced
- 2 c. frozen corn
- 4 potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 6 c. chicken stock
- 1/4 c. butter or margarine
- 1/4 c. flour
- 1 t. salt
- 1 t. black pepper
- 2 c. milk
2. In a separate pan, melt 1/4 c. butter or margarine. Whisk in flour, salt and pepper. Cook for 3 minutes, stirring occasionally. Whisk in milk. Bring to a boil and simmer for 3 minutes, until slightly thickened.
3. Slowly stir the roux into the soup in the stockpot. Return soup to a boil and simmer about 5 minutes, until soup is thickened.
*You can make the chowder ahead of time up through step 1. Then, just before eating, pull the stock pot out and begin reheating the soup while making the roux.
This tastes great served with a wedge of bread fresh from the oven. Use a mild-flavored bread so that you can dip it in the chowder without affecting the taste. The chowder would hold up well and be perfect in a bread bowl also.
Visit Blessed With Grace for more Tummy Tempting recipes and Tammy's Recipes for more kitchen tips.