The use of two meats might seem un-frugal, but this recipe makes enough for two meals.
- 2 T. vegetable oil
- 1 lb. Polish sausage, split lengthwise and sliced
- 1/2 lb. chicken, cubed (boneless, skinless breasts or thighs)
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 green pepper, diced
- 3 stalks celery, diced
- 2 1/4 c. rice (white or brown)
- 1 can diced tomatoes
- 1 can tomato sauce
- 1 c. beef broth
- 1 -2 t. cayenne pepper, depending on how spicy you want it
- 2 t. garlic powder
- 1 t. salt
- 1/2 t. pepper
- 1/2 t. oregano
2. Add tomatoes, tomato sauce, beef broth and seasonings. Bring to a boil, cover skillet and reduce heat to low. Simmer until rice is fully cooked, about 20-25 minutes for white rice and about 60 minutes for brown rice.
This dish is perfect to make ahead because the flavors really meld together while it sits in the refrigerator. One thing to note, though, is that the spiciness also intensifies. So if you are making it ahead of time, you may want to use a little less cayenne pepper.