Come visit the new home of Cooking During Stolen Moments at http://stolenmomentscooking.com

Friday, December 5, 2008

Curry Chicken And Broccoli Casserole and Canned Cream of --- Substitute















Curry Chicken & Broccoli Casserole
  • 1 can cream of celery soup (Or homemade substitute*)
  • 1 c. mayonnaise
  • 1 T. curry powder (more or less to taste)
  • salt & pepper, to taste
  • 2 c. cubed chicken, cooked
  • 1 bag frozen broccoli
  • 1 -2 c. shredded cheddar cheese
1. Combine soup, mayonnaise, curry powder, and salt & pepper, to taste. Layer chicken and broccoli in a 13 x 9 casserole dish. Pour sauce over top. Top the whole thing with shredded cheese, cover with tin foil and bake at 350 for 25-30 minutes. Serve over rice.

*I always make a homemade substitute for any recipe that calls for a canned, cream of soup. I think learning how to make a white sauce, and all the variations thereof, has been the best kitchen skill I've learned for cooking from scratch. I use this basic recipe to make cheese sauce, cream of substitutes, gravy, and many other things.














  • 1/4 c. butter, margarine, or meat drippings/fat
  • 1/2 c. appropriate veggies (ie. onions, celery, mushrooms, etc.), optional
  • 1/4 c. flour
  • 1 3/4 - 2 c. liquid
  • salt & pepper to taste, and any other appropriate seasonings
For tonight's cream of celery substitute:

1. Melt the butter in a sauce pan over medium heat. Add 1/2 c. finely diced celery; cook until translucent.
2. Whisk in 1/4 c. flour and cook for 1-2 minutes.
3. Add 1 1/2 c. milk and 1/4 c. chicken stock. Bring to a boil, stirring frequently. Continue to cook until desired consistency. Stir in salt and pepper to taste. Use as you would canned cream of celery soup.

For a chicken gravy, I would do the same thing except use 2 c. chicken stock instead on the 1 3/4 cups of liquid from step 3 above. I would also add some more appropriate seasonings.

For a beef gravy, I would use drippings or drained fat in place of butter or margarine. I would also use 2 c. beef stock and appropriate seasonings.

2 comments:

Phil's Grill said...

Being able to create a good base from which to start is a great skill. The curry chicken & broccoli casserole looks fantastic!
Would you be interested in exchanging links?
Phil's Grill

Claudia said...

I am so happy to have found your site. The recipes I have viewed look great. I have 4 children, so coming up with easy, delicious dinners can often be a challenge. Also, my husband and 3 older children have a wheat/gluten allergy. I always have to adapt recipes for them. For recipes calling for cream of chicken, I use heavy cream in the same amount called for in the recipe, plus chicken buillion. It has worked so well, and allowed me to make so many more recipes that way. I plan to come back to your site and go through your recipes.