Honey Chicken over Veggie Rice
- 1 T. olive oil
- 1 T. butter
- 1 1/2 c. white or brown rice
- salt & pepper, to taste
- 3 c. chicken stock
- 1 T. lemon zest
- 2 c. assorted veggies (I used 2 c. frozen stir-fry vegetables)
1. Heat oil and butter over medium-high heat in a medium pot until butter is melted. Add rice and season with salt and pepper. Cook rice, stirring often, until it is just beginning to turn brown, about 3-5 minutes.
2. Add chicken stock and lemon zest to rice. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, cover, and let simmer, 15-18 minutes for white rice; 40-45 minutes for brown rice. During the last 5 minutes of cooking, lift the lid and add the veggies on top of the rice. Do NOT stir. Return lid and let veggies steam while rice finishes cooking.
For Honey Chicken:
- 2 T. olive oil
- 1 pound chicken breasts, cut into bite-size pieces
- 1/2 t. crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/2 large onion, thinly sliced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 T. fresh grated ginger, or 1 t. ground ginger
- 1/4 c. honey
- 1 1/2 c. chicken stock
- 1 T. arrowroot powder or corn starch
1. Heat oil in a large skillet. Add the chicken to the pan and season with salt and pepper. Cook, stirring often, until chicken is done, about 5 minutes.
2. Add the red pepper flakes, onion, garlic, ginger and honey to the pan. Cook, stirring frequently, until the onions are translucent.
3. Add the chicken stock to the skillet, making sure to deglaze the bottom of the pan. Bring to a boil and let simmer.
4. When the chicken begins to simmer, mix together the arrowroot powder or cornstarch with a splash of water. Stir until smooth. Stir into chicken and continue simmering until sauce is thickened. Serve over rice.