Come visit the new home of Cooking During Stolen Moments at http://stolenmomentscooking.com

Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Crescent Rolls

Crescent rolls are one of those things I always assumed you could only get in a can. And then a few years ago I saw a recipe for homemade crescent rolls. I knew I had to try them!

The first few batches just didn't quite do it for me. I've since tweaked the recipe numerous times and finally have it down. These rolls are delicious and so easy once you get the hang of it. They won't taste exactly like the crescent-rolls-in-a-can. They will taste better!

My rolls this time around don't look quite as big and fluffy as usual. My yeast isn't working quite as well as it should and I haven't gotten around to getting a new bag yet.

Crescent Rolls
  • 1 T. active dry yeast
  • 1/2 c. warm water
  • 1 1/2 c. milk
  • 1/2 c. butter, softened and cut into chunks
  • 1/2 c. sugar
  • 1/2 c. mashed potato flakes
  • 2 eggs
  • 1 1/2 t. salt
  • 6 to 6 1/2 c. flour
1. Dissolve the yeast in warm water in a large bowl. Add the milk, butter pieces, sugar, potato flakes, eggs and salt to the bowl. Stir just to combine. Add three cups of flour and mix well; stirring until smooth. Add as much of the remaining dough as possible until a stiff dough forms.

2. Knead a few times or mix with a dough hook for an additional minute. Cover dough and let rise for 15 minutes.3. Divide dough in half and roll each half into a circle about 1/2 in. thick or a little less. Cut each circle into evenly-sized wedges, about 16-18 each. Roll the wedges of dough from the wide end to the point. Curve ends slightly and place on a cookie sheet. Cover and let rise one hour. Bake at 350 degrees for 15-18 minutes. (I usually rotate the cookie sheets from top rack to lower rack halfway through so that they get evenly brown on top and bottom.)
The cooked rolls can be frozen and thawed in a few hours on the counter. Or the rolls can be frozen before the second rising.

10 comments:

^..^Corgidogmama said...

Sure looks good to me! Potato flakes, huh? Unusual!

Anonymous said...

Yum! Looks so good!
~Kim

Miranda said...

Thank you so much! It seems like several recipes for crescent rolls can be kind of labor intense. This looks quick and amazing! BTW, tried your chocolate chip coffee cake yesterday... wonderful! Keep up the great work.

AudreyO said...

We love crescent rolls. I'm not sure we've ever made them from scratch. Sometimes we'll buy them in bulk from Costco. Those are excellent heated with some butter on top.

That Fresh Feeling said...

I love your blog:-)

Not Another Omnivore said...

Mmmmm....

NAOmni

Unknown said...

WOW, THIS WAS AWESOME. I was real skeptical about making the dough, but it ws so easy to make. They even tasted magnificent. I also used the dough to make the sausage and cheese turnovers, and they were deelicios!! thanks for sharing this recipe.

-Cinthia

Anonymous said...

Your blog keeps getting better and better! Your older articles are not as good as newer ones you have a lot more creativity and originality now keep it up!

Anonymous said...

Nice fill someone in on and this post helped me alot in my college assignement. Thanks you as your information.

Anonymous said...

Well I assent to but I think the collection should prepare more info then it has.