Fudgy Brownies with Chocolate-Espresso Frosting
- 3/4 c. cocoa
- 1/2 t. baking soda
- 2/3 c. butter or margarine, melted and divided
- 1/2 c. boiling water
- 2 c. sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 c. flour
- 1/3 c. whole wheat flour (This is my attempt to make them a teeny, tiny bit healthier. You can use all white flour though.)
- 1 t. vanilla
- 1/4 t. salt
- 1 c. chocolate chips (optional)
1. Heat oven to 350 degrees. Grease 13 x 9 baking pan. Stir together cocoa and baking soda in large bowl; stir in 1/3 c. butter. Add boiling water; stir until mixture thickens.
2. Stir in sugar, eggs and remaining 1/3 c. butter; stir until smooth. Add flours, vanilla and salt; stir until blended. (Optional: stir in chocolate chips.) Pour into prepared pan.
3. Bake 30-35 minutes, or until brownies begin to pull away from sides of pan. Cool completely.
4. Frost brownies (optional)
- 6 T. butter or margarine, softened
- 2 2/3 c. powdered sugar
- 1/2 c. cocoa
- 1/4 c. milk
- 1 T. espresso powder or instant coffee dissolved in 1 T. hot water
- 1/2 t. vanilla
1. Beat butter in medium bowl. Add powdered sugar and cocoa alternately with milk, espresso and vanilla, beating to spreading consistency.