Come visit the new home of Cooking During Stolen Moments at http://stolenmomentscooking.com

Monday, November 3, 2008

BBQ Meatloaf And Caramelized Onion Pizza


On Saturday night I wanted to make us a fun family dinner, but I also had some meatloaf cups (recipe coming later this week) in the freezer that I wanted to use up. I didn't have enough meatloaf cups to just make those with a side dish though. So I decided it was time to creative. Here is what I came up with.

BBQ Meatloaf & Caramelized Onion Pizza
For Pizza Dough
  • 1 c. warm water
  • 2 T. yeast
  • 2 T. honey
  • 3 T. olive oil
  • 1/2 t. salt
  • 3 1/2 c. flour
1. Dissolve yeast in warm water for 5 minutes. Stir in honey, olive oil and salt. Add the flour, 1/2 c. at a time, until dough is no longer sticky. (This can be done in a stand mixer also.) Knead for about 5 minutes.
2. Place dough in a greased bowl, cover and let rise for 30 minutes. Punch down dough, knead 1 minute, recover in greased bowl and let rise 1 - 1 1/2 hours.
3. Roll out pizza crust and place on a pizza stone, or press onto a cookie sheet sprinkled with corn meal. Prebake at 350 degrees for 10 minutes. Remove from oven, let cool and top with pizza toppings.

For Pizza Toppings -
--BBQ Sauce
  • 1 c. ketchup (or, in a pinch like I was, 1 can tomato paste, 1 can water, 1 t. apple cider vinegar and 1/2 t. salt)
  • 2 T. worchestschire sauce
  • 2 T. brown sugar
  • 1 t. each; garlic powder, chili powder, cumin, black pepper
  • 1/2 t. crushed red pepper flakes
1. Stir all ingredients together until combined.

--Caramelized Onions
  • 1 large yellow onion, sliced
  • 2 T. butter
  • 2 t. honey
1. Melt butter in a skillet. Add onions and honey. Cook over medium-low heat for about 20 minutes, until onions are tender and caramelized.

--6 meatloaf cups, leftover meatloaf or meatballs, cut into cubes

--2 c. shredded cheddar cheese

To put the pizza together:
  1. Spread BBQ sauce over pizza crust. Top with caramelized onions.
  2. Cover onions and sauce with chopped meatloaf.
  3. Cover all with shredded cheese.
  4. Bake for 15-20 minutes at 350 degrees, until crust is done and cheese is melted.
We could not believe how delicious this pizza was. I will definitely be making it again soon!

I will post the full game plan for this dinner later on this week.

You can find more Tempt My Tummy Tuesday here and more Kitchen Tip Tuesday here.

6 comments:

Sherry @ Lamp Unto My Feet said...

THis sounds scrumptious! WE have pizza every Friday night. I will have to try this one with our pizza night. Thanks for sharing! :D

Live.Love.Eat said...

This looks outstanding!!! I just love caramelized onions too.

Lisa@BlessedwithGrace said...

Oh, I KNOW that must have been yummy. Looking forward to the meatloaf cup recipe. Thanks for coming back to TMTT.

Jennifer said...

Thanks so much for posting this! This looks very good. I get so excited anytime you post a new recipe because they all look so good! You must be very good at cooking. Maybe I can fake it by following your recipes. lol

A happy heart at home said...

Ooh, that sounds good!

~Susan

Stephanie Appleton said...

What an interesting pizza!