On Saturday night I wanted to make us a fun family dinner, but I also had some meatloaf cups (recipe coming later this week) in the freezer that I wanted to use up. I didn't have enough meatloaf cups to just make those with a side dish though. So I decided it was time to creative. Here is what I came up with.
BBQ Meatloaf & Caramelized Onion Pizza
For Pizza Dough
- 1 c. warm water
- 2 T. yeast
- 2 T. honey
- 3 T. olive oil
- 1/2 t. salt
- 3 1/2 c. flour
2. Place dough in a greased bowl, cover and let rise for 30 minutes. Punch down dough, knead 1 minute, recover in greased bowl and let rise 1 - 1 1/2 hours.
3. Roll out pizza crust and place on a pizza stone, or press onto a cookie sheet sprinkled with corn meal. Prebake at 350 degrees for 10 minutes. Remove from oven, let cool and top with pizza toppings.
For Pizza Toppings -
- 1 c. ketchup (or, in a pinch like I was, 1 can tomato paste, 1 can water, 1 t. apple cider vinegar and 1/2 t. salt)
- 2 T. worchestschire sauce
- 2 T. brown sugar
- 1 t. each; garlic powder, chili powder, cumin, black pepper
- 1/2 t. crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 large yellow onion, sliced
- 2 T. butter
- 2 t. honey
--6 meatloaf cups, leftover meatloaf or meatballs, cut into cubes
--2 c. shredded cheddar cheese
To put the pizza together:
- Spread BBQ sauce over pizza crust. Top with caramelized onions.
- Cover onions and sauce with chopped meatloaf.
- Cover all with shredded cheese.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes at 350 degrees, until crust is done and cheese is melted.
I will post the full game plan for this dinner later on this week.
You can find more Tempt My Tummy Tuesday here and more Kitchen Tip Tuesday here.